Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 05/07/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Belgium

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Belgium from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Belgium (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, for the maximum number of months specified in your contract.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Belgium is called "la segmentation" and is based on the following criteria: age, no-claims history, home address, issue date of the driving licence, horse power of the vehicle (gender is not a criterion). These criteria vary from one insurer to another. However, they have the obligation to publish these criteria on their websites and inform consumers in any offers. They have to justify their decisions according to these criteria.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Belgium are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history may be accepted but it depends on the trade policy of the insurer.


Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact "l'ombudsman des assurancesnlfr" it is an organisation that tries to find a friendly solution to disputes free of charge.

See main information on this topic

Share this page: