Available languages:

Last checked : 07/07/2017

Expired or lost passports – Poland

Whatever your nationality, an expired passport is not accepted as a valid travel document to enter or leave Poland. 

However, if you have Polish nationality and you travel with an expired passport you will not necessarily be refused (re)entry to Poland as long as you can provide valid proof of your identity and nationality. In this situation, your expired passport will be taken away from you at the border and you will need to apply for a new one before being able to leave the country again.

If you travel with an expired passport in order to return to Poland, other countries through which you may need to travel may not accept the document and therefore may not let you travel through their territories.

Polish nationals temporarily visiting another country and wishing to return to Poland with an expired passport should request a temporary passportpl.

If you are a national of another EU country, the rulespl say that either a valid passport or other document which simply confirms your nationality and identity (without necessarily being a valid travel document) will be sufficient to leave the country. However, you are advised to have a valid passport or national identity card as without one or the other you may experience difficulties leaving Poland.


See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: