Available languages:

Last checked: 18/10/2018

Expired or lost passports – Italy

All travellers need a valid passport or identity cardit to travel.

If an Italian national whose passport has expired while travelling was still able to leave the foreign country and arrives at the Italian border without any other valid identity documents, the situation will be dealt with by the border police.

A traveller from another EU country, whose passport expires while travelling, and who has no other valid identity documents for leaving Italy, will be asked to contact the relevant embassy or consulate in Italy to obtain a temporary travel document. If this is not possible, the situation will be dealt with by the police or border police.

In emergencies, the consular representations of most EU countries may issue a temporary travel documentit (also known as an E.T.D. - Emergency Travel Document) which is valid only for the return journey to the country of permanent residence.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: