Available languages:

Last checked: 12/11/2018

Expired or lost passports – Estonia

You may neither enter nor leave Estonia on an expired passport. If you are a citizen of another EU country but you hold an Estonian ID card you may also need a valid ID-card or other travel document issued by your country of nationality as there is no guarantee that your Estonian ID card will be accepted as a valid travel document by other EU countries.

If necessary, as a citizen of another EU country, you can request a temporary travel document.

Upon arrival in Estonia, an Estonian citizen without a valid travel document will be allowed to cross the state border as long as they can provide valid proof of their identity and nationality by means of other documents.

Where a citizen of an EU country does not have the necessary travel documents they will be given every reasonable opportunity to obtain such documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to prove by other means that they have the right of free movement and residence.

Additional information can be found in the State Borders Actet.


See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: