Last checked: 03/05/2019

Energy labels

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

As of 30 March 2019, all EU law will cease to apply to the UK, unless a ratified withdrawal agreement establishes another date, or the European Council and the UK decide unanimously to extend the two-year negotiation period. For more information about the legal repercussions for businesses:

Energy labels show how the appliances you sell or manufacture rank on a scale from A to G according to its energy consumption. Class A (green) is the most energy efficient and Class G (red) the least. Currently - once most appliances of a given type reach Class A - up to 3 further classes can be added to the scale; A+, A++ and A+++.

Due to improved energy efficiency in many products, more and more appliances are ranked within the A+, A++ and A+++ grades. This has proven to be confusing for consumers so from 2021 onwards, these rankings will be phased out for the following product groups:

The new grading system will use only the A to G rankings (without A+, A++ and A+++).

What are the benefits?

Energy labels enable customers to choose products that consume less energy and thereby save money. Labels can also encourage companies to develop and invest in energy-efficient product design.

Which products require labels?

You must display energy labels for all appliances you sell in the EU for which a label requirement (or regulation) exists. They must be clearly displayed on each appliance at the point of sale.

So, if you make or import household appliances be sure to check whether they comply with the relevant directive and related legislation.

Products that require energy labels

  • Air conditioners
  • Cooking appliances (domestic)
  • Dishwashers (household)
  • Heaters (space and water heaters)
  • Lamps
  • Local space heaters
  • Refrigerating appliances (household)
  • Refrigeration (professional)
  • Solid fuel boilers
  • Televisions
  • Tumble dryers
  • Tyres
  • Ventilation units (residential)
  • Washing machines (household)

EU rules on energy labels apply to appliances and any other products likely to have a direct or indirect impact on the consumption of energy and other potential resources during use, i.e. energy-related products. They do not apply to second-hand products or to means of transport for persons or goods.

What do I need to do?

If you are:

you should make sure that any appliance you sell (that requires an energy label) displays the correct label containing information on how much energy it uses. You'll also need to publish the technical documentation. You must provide the labels and product information to dealers free of charge (ensure the labels are affixed so they are visible and legible).

You have the option to generate energy labels using the online energy label generator tool. You can also access energy label templates in InDesign format.

Registering your products on the EPREL database 

Any product you place on the EU market (requiring an energy label) needs to be registered on the European Product Database for Energy Labelling (EPREL) database before being sold, from 1 January 2019. You can find out more about the information that you need to provide for the database on the European product database for energy labelling portal.

If you placed any product (requiring an energy label) on the EU market between 1 August 2017 and 1 January 2019, you have to register the product on the EPREL database before 1 July 2019.

The EPREL database consists of two parts, a public website (available from April 2019) and the compliance portal.

Public website

The public website offers information about products subject to energy labels and can be accessed by everyone. The information stored here will not be deleted.

Compliance portal

The compliance portal has a secure database for all the energy efficient products and is where you will register your products. The product information stored here will be kept for 15 years.

Additional information

You can find more information on the dedicated workspace and guidelines for organisation registration. For any question, contact the support team at:

Selling products online or by distance selling

If you sell online or via distance selling, for example by phone or catalogue, you must still provide your clients with the product information.
For internet sales, you should:

The nested arrows and energy labels can be created via the energy label generator or the InDesign templates.

What are delegated regulations? 

To ensure compliance with EU energy labelling rules, delegated regulations for labelling of appliances explain what criteria your product must meet. These criteria include:

For certain product groups, the companies involved may decide to define voluntary agreements. You should check to see if any agreements exist.

You should also check whether your product is covered by European standards for ecodesign and energy labelling. The standards will help you comply with the EU energy labelling rules.

Related topics

EU legislation

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Labelling contact form

Submit your question using the labelling contact form.

Local business support - Do you have questions on operating a business cross-border, for example exporting or expanding to another EU country? If so, the Enterprise Europe Network can give you free advice.

Share this page: