Available languages:

Last checked: 17/12/2018

Greece – Greece

Greece complies with the Borders Code within the Schengen area, which allows free movement of European citizens and does not control passports. However, when required, EU nationals located in Greece should hold a valid identity card or passport issued by their country.

If an EU national loses the above documents that constitute a means of proving his/her identity or if these are stolen or if in the meantime they cease to be valid, he/she shall apply to the consular authority of his/her country in Greece in order to obtain a temporary travel document proving his/her citizenship or nationality.

A Greek national residing in an EU Member State, in the event of loss or theft of his passport, must declare the loss immediately to the nearest police or consular authority (the same applies if the lost passport is found). The above authority carries out an investigation to verify the conditions of loss or theft of the passport, which can take up to three (3) months. During the investigation no new passport shall be issued to the applicant unless it is necessary to travel abroad due to hospitalisation, death or serious illness.

In emergency situations, temporary travel documents may be issued from the consular posts of Greece abroad, for the repatriation of Greek citizens.

The issuance of Greek citizens' passports is carried out in cooperation with the Ministry of Citizen Protection, in particular the Hellenic Police Passport Directorate (8 Chiou str, Kaisariani, P.C. 161 21, tel. +302107298000, e-mail: contact@passport.gov.gr).

Related Links:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs – E3 Directorate for Administrative and Judicial Affairs, e-mail: e03@mfa.gr

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: