Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 12/04/2017

Driving licence loss, theft, replacement

Lost or stolen licence

If your driving licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you need to apply for a replacement in the country where you have normal residence.

Do you live abroad? More information on what to do if you lose your driving licence while living abroad:

Choose country

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

The European Commission is not responsible for the content of external websites.

Replacing your licence

Your driving licence can only be replaced by the authorities in the country where you have normal residence.

They will replace or exchange your original licence for a local one.

You will then be subject to that country's rules (e.g. on validity periods and medical checks).

Sample story

Exchanging a damaged licence issued by another EU country for a local one

Monica lives in Belgium and has an Italian driving licence which has been damaged. She will have to exchange her Italian licence for a Belgian one. She will receive a Belgian licence that is valid for 15 years, instead of 10 years as in Italy.

Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice