Home country elections – Slovakia
The right to vote
Slovak citizens living abroad can vote and stand as a candidate in:
- parliamentary elections
- in elections to self-governing regions
- in elections to self-governing municipalities and
- vote in a referendum.
Slovak citizens can vote by post in parliamentary elections if they are:
- without permanent residence in the Slovak Republic who have requested to be registered in a special list of electors
- with permanent residence in the Slovak Republic but who are out of the territory of the Slovak Republic at the time of elections. In this case, they need to contact their municipality and request to vote by post.
The right to stand as a candidate
Citizens of the Slovak Republic can be elected if:
- they have reached the age of 21 years (at the latest on election day) and
- have permanent residence in the Slovak Republic.
Slovak citizens can vote at presidential elections if:
- they have reached the age of 18 years (at the latest on election day)
- and are present in the territory of the Slovak Republic (qualified elector) on election day.
Elections to the organs of self-governing regions
You can vote to the organs of self-governing regions if you:
- are a citizen of the Slovak Republic
- are a foreigner who reached the age of 18 years (at the latest on the Election Day) and has a permanent residence in a municipality belonging to the territory of a self-governing region or
- have a permanent residence in a military district, which (for the purposes of elections to the organs of the self-governing region) belongs to its territory ("resident of the self-governing region").
You can vote at municipal elections if:
- you are a citizen of the Slovak Republic
- a foreigner who has permanent residence in the municipality
- you have reached the age of 18 years at the latest on Election Day.
To be elected as a mayor, you need to have:
- a permanent residence in the municipality and
- reached the age of 25 years on the election day the latest (in Bratislava and Košice, you need to be 18 on the election day).