Navigation path

Share on 
	Share on Facebook
	Tweet it
	Share on google+
	Share on linkedIn

Driving licence

Updated : 26/03/2013


Loss, theft and renewal

I'm living in another EU country

Lost or stolen licence

If you lose your driving licence or have it stolen, you need to apply for a new one in the country where you are resident..

Renewing a licence

You can only have a driving licence issued by the authorities in the country where you are resident.

They will exchange your original licence for a local one. You will then be subject to the same rules on validity periods, medical checks, and so on as nationals of that country.

Sample story

Exchange an expired licence for a local one

Monica lives in Belgium and has an Italian licence which is about to expire. She will have to exchange her Italian licence for a Belgian one. She will receive a Belgian licence with a validity period of 15 years, instead of 10 years as is the case in Italy.

Still need help?

Still need help?

Haven't found the information you need? Do you have a problem to solve?

Get advice on your EU rights

Solve problems with a public body