Driving licence renewal and exchange – Italy
Renew your driving licence
As an EU national living in Italy, if you want to renew a driving licence issued in another EU country, you can do so at an agency of the Ministry of Transport (it).
In Italy if you are an elderly driver you are not required to take additional theory tests when you renew your driving licence. But if you wish to renew a category A or B driving licence, you must undergo a medical check:
- every 5 years between the ages of 50 and 70
- every 3 years between the ages of 70 and 80
- every 2 years over the age of 80
Replace a lost driving licence
If you lose your driving licence, report to the police within 48 hours; they will issue a certificate while you are waiting for a duplicate.
To replace a driving licence which has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, you will be asked to:
- fill in a form (model TT 2112)
- pay a fee to the administration (approx. €32,00 for c/c 4028 and €9,00 for c/c 9001)
- provide 2 recent passport-type photos (on a white background)
- produce your ID card or passport
- produce your report on the loss to the police
- produce a copy of your tax code card
- produce a medical certificate
Apply for a replacement licence within 45 days.
Find out more information on the replacement of it.