Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked : 05/07/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Lithuania

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Lithuania from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Lithuania (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, until the vehicle is officially re-registered in Lithuania.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Lithuania is called bonus/malus system and is based on the following criteria: Bonus-Malus class, the purpose for which the vehicle is used and the operating conditions, type of vehicle, technical parameters of vehicle, region of registration of the vehicle, period of validity of the policy, other information available to the insurers.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Lithuania are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Dispute resolution

If you don't agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact:

Central Bank of the Republic of Lithuania

Gedimino ave. 6, LT-01103 Vilnius

Totorių str. 4, LT 01121 Vilnius (for correspondence)

Toll-free information line: +370 800 50 500

Phone: +370 5 268 0029, fax: +370 5 268 0038

E-mail: info@lb.lt

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: