Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 28/02/2018

Car insurance validity in the EU – Sweden

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Sweden from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You cannot use your existing policy after moving to Sweden (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country. You must take out third party motor insurance from day one, if you don't have any. You may also apply for temporary registration with a Swedish insurance company.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Sweden is called a bonus system and is assessed by the insurer on a case by case basis.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Sweden are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium.

Dispute resolution

If you do not agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact the Road Traffic Injuries Commission.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: