Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 17/06/2019

Car insurance validity in the EU – Estonia

Affected by Brexit?

Third party motor insurance

When you move temporarily to Estonia from another EU country (as a student, pensioner, second home owner, cross-border commuter), your existing insurance policy from another EU country is still valid for the period it was signed for.

You can use your existing policy, even after moving to Estonia (once officially registered as a resident) from another EU country, for a maximum of 6 months.

Claims history

The risk-assessment scheme typically used by vehicle insurers in Estonia is called bonus/malus and is based on previous insurance/claims history.

If you are an EU national, insurers in Estonia are not required by law to recognise your no-claims history in another EU country and factor this into your premium. Documents issued in another EU country relating to no-claims history can be accepted but it's a decision of the specific insurer. You must present the insurance / claims history proof to the insurance company. You can ask your insurer at any time for a record of any claims you have made. They must provide this information within 15 days of your request.

But if you have to take out new car insurance in another EU country, the new insurer is not obliged to take account of your previous claims record (and any reductions it might otherwise make you eligible for) when calculating your premium.

It is likely that some insurers will consider your claims record though, so it is worth shopping around.

Dispute resolution

If you do not agree with an insurance payout or any other decision taken by your insurer, you can contact:

Estonian Traffic Insurance Fund, the motor insurance conciliator's by e-mail: lepitus@lkf.ee

Mustamäe tee 46, 10621 Tallinn
Tel: +372 667 1800

See main information on this topic

Share this page: