Last checked: 13/12/2019

Documents for minors travelling in the EU

Coronavirus: safely resuming travel

In addition to their own valid passport or ID card, all children travelling:

may need an extra (official) document signed by their parents, second parent or legal guardian(s) authorising them to travel.

There are no EU rules on this matter, each EU country decides if it requires the child to have an official authorisation from their parent(s) or guardian. Check, before the child travels, the requirements of the country you are travelling both to and from:

Choose country

* Information not yet provided by national authorities

Bear in mind that, even if a country does not require minors to carry an official authorisation to leave or enter its territory, other countries they transit through may ask the child to show one.

When travelling by air it is highly recommended that you check with the airlines before departing as many require official authorisations and have their own specific forms for this purpose.

As each country's rules may change without notice you are also encouraged to check with the authorities themselves or with the respective embassies or consulates.

See also: Taking children abroad legally

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Share this page: