Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 25/04/2017

FAQs - Finding a volunteering project

  • Do I need any specific skills to be a volunteer with the European Voluntary Service?

    NO - the programme is open to everyone. You'll be given specific training before you go.

  • I want to volunteer abroad. Where can I find information and support?

    Contact your national agency or your regional SALTO resource centre for eastern Europe and the Caucasus, south-eastern Europe and the Euro-Mediterranean region.

    You can also check the European Voluntary Service's website and the guide to the European Voluntary Service.

  • I want to volunteer in Spain with the European Voluntary Service. Do I need to be able to speak Spanish?

    NO - unless basic knowledge of the language is specifically required for the work you'll be doing. Language support will be available to you during your project, so you'll certainly learn some Spanish while you're there.

  • Do I need insurance?

    YES - but volunteering with the European Voluntary Service entitles you to special free insurance. Ask the organisation sending you for details.

  • What if I don't enjoy my project with the European Voluntary Service - can I leave it?

    If you find yourself in a very difficult situation and your problems can't be solved, there are ways of terminating your volunteering agreement - as a last resort.

  • Will I need to pay anything to take part in a European Voluntary Service project?

    NO - you won't need to pay anything to participate in the European Voluntary Service.

  • Can EU countries restrict access to their national volunteering scheme to nationals?

    YES - national volunteering schemes are not necessarily open to non-citizens. Contact the authority in charge to find out.

  • I want to go somewhere in Asia. Do I need a visa?

    POSSIBLY - taking part in a volunteering project doesn't exempt you from abiding by national visa regulations. Make sure you do your homework properly!

  • I've recently started volunteering in another EU country. What authorities will be responsible for my social security rights, and what legal status do I have in another country?

    Volunteers' status isn't regulated under EU law.  Those working abroad are looked after by both the organisation sending them and their host organisation.  As a volunteer, you have the right to live in any EU country, provided you have sufficient resources to support yourself and comprehensive health insurance. As long as you fulfil those conditions you will be covered by the social security system of that country.  If your stay in another EU country is temporary, you could rely on your European Health Insurance Card from your home country to ensure that you can obtain the healthcare you need during your stay. 
  • Will I receive a certificate recognized throughout the EU after volunteering in another EU country?

    If you've taken part in an Erasmus+ Youth in Action project, you'll receive a Youthpass Certificate.
  • What is the ‘Youthpass' Certificate, and where can I apply for one?

    With the Youthpass Certificate, you can be sure that experience gained through the Youth in Action Programme is recognised as an educational experience and a period of non-formal learning . If you are taking part in an approved Erasmus+ Youth in Action project, your organisation should register on the Youthpass website and enter your details. Your certificate can then be validated and generated.


See main information on this topic
Finding a volunteering project
EU legislation
Public consultations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice