Karfreitstraße 8, 9020, Klagenfurt am Wörthersee, Austriawww.maedchenzentrum.at - +43463508821
description of organisation
The „Mädchenzentrum Klagenfurt“ (Centre for Girls* Klagenfurt) was founded in 1995. It offers counselling, support and information for a variety of situations and living conditions of girls* and young women* from all backgrounds. The goal of the Centre for Girls* in Klagenfurt is to enable and assist girls* in making self-determined life choices. In order to achieve this goal, we provide a broad variety of projects and courses in the fields of career orientation, social education, counselling, etc.
The project, the volunteer will be mainly involved in, is the „Mädchen*treff“, a youth centre especially for girls* and a place where girls* and young women* can spend their leisure time. The activities are based on the principles of feminist girls work with an intersectional approach. It is a meeting point for girls* who want to meet their friends, do their homework, play games, participate in workshops or just want to hang out for a while and have nice company and talk with each other. Once a week we cook together and sometimes organise special events like creative activities, dance workshops, different excursions, movie nights, etc.. Depending on weather and season we also like to do outside activities like playing games at the park, visiting the lake in Klagenfurt, having a picnic, etc..
Beside the fun factor young people can find help and talk about their problems at the „Mädchen*treff“. We advise in the fields of:
• Difficulties at school
• Education advice
• Family problems
• Process of integration
• Relationship difficulties
That’s why we are…
a place to start, a place to meet, a place where people listen, a place to talk to feminist and gender-trained women*, a place to learn and a centre for projects and innovations.
Among the youth centre for girls* the „Mädchenzentrum Klagenfurt“ offers:
• Social-educational counselling – free, anonymous, and confidential
• Workshops to further competences such as communication, self-esteem, self-confidence, self-assertion, and self-reliance
• Workshops on gender roles, sexuality, emotions, eating disorders, body images, violence, etc.
• Career orientation with lectures, workshops and courses on: Strengths and interests, career information as well as expanding awareness and reducing gender bias in career choices (girls* and mechanics, engineering, and technology), training in the application process and finding of jobs
• Contacts to business’, firms, and workshops for internships
• Information days and major events on various topics
• Current and seasonal courses on the subjects of leisure and creativity
• Access to specialized library
• A youth centre especially for girls* and young women* from all backgrounds
This organisation is willing to involve volunteers who face situations which make their participation in activities more difficult, from the following categories for different types of project:
- Economic obstacles
- Cultural differences