Euroopan nuorisoportaali
Tietoa nuorille eurooppalaisille

Working in Sweden

Two girls sitting at a computer. Source:
Do you want to work in Sweden or abroad? Here's some short information about rules and regulations (and where to find out more), where you can find jobs, and how unions work.

Rules and regulations

There are a lot of laws regulating the workplace in Sweden, just like in the rest of Europe. If you want to work in Sweden and you're a citizen of an EU country, you don't need any particular working permit. You can simply move here and start to work when you arrive. But if you want to stay longer than three months, you must register your stay with the Migration Board.  If you haven't found a job in six months, they might demand evidence that you're actively seeking work.  


If you're not an EU citizen and you want to work in Sweden, you'll need a work permit (in nearly all cases). 


Finding a job abroad

IF you're an EU citizen and interested in working abroad, Arbetsförmedlingen (the largest job placement agency in Sweden) is a good place to turn. They can inform you about job fairs and other kinds of recruitment meetings where job opportunities are available. They can also inform you about how taxation, salaries, and jobseekers' allowances work in different countries. If you're between 18 and 30 years old you might even be able to apply for funding.  Contact Eures for more information about that.



Most employees in Sweden are members of a union. We have three central umbrella organisations for unions in Sweden. They are the Swedish Trade Union Confederation, the Swedish Confederation for Professional Employees,  and the Swedish Confederation for Professional Associations. From their respective webpages, you can find the particular union that suits you best.





Julkaistu: Ke, 29/05/2013 - 17:30

Tweet Button: 


Info for young people in the western balkans

Tarvitsetko apua tai neuvoja?

Ota yhteyttä