European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Study abroad with ERASMUS

Spend a year as an Erasmus student and improve your language skills, meet a new culture, and gain experiences that will continue to be an asset throughout your career.



With the EU's ERASMUS scheme, you can study for 3 to 12 months in one of more than 4,000 universities in over 30 European countries.


To help you cover travel and living costs, you can apply for an ERASMUS grant. Then won’t have to pay any fees at your host university either.



Where can I go?

All the EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Turkey, Croatia and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.


Can I apply?


To apply, you must:


-          be a registered student at an ERASMUS higher education institution

-          have completed at least the first year of a university program leading to a degree.


Where do I start?

-          Contact your university’s international and/or ERASMUS office to get information on specific opportunities, the selection procedure and financial support.

-          You can also go to the homepage of the Swedish Council for Higher Education to read more about the program. (The link is in Swedish.)


Before you go


-          Check the ERASMUS student charter, which sets out your rights and obligations during your period abroad.



“It was easily the best year of my university life. The ERASMUS year gave me a new vision of the world that goes beyond my home country and even Europe.”

Tomás Sánchez López’s from Spain spent the final year of his Master’s degree in Finland in 2002.


During your ERASMUS year

Going to classes and getting to know a different university system is a great part of your time abroad, but meeting other ERASMUS students and dipping into another culture is also part of the deal. The ERASMUS Student Network can help you with that, just find a local section close to you and see what activities they have planned or contact a representative.


At the end

At the end of your period abroad, your host institution must give you and your home institution a transcript confirming that you fulfilled the learning agreement. The transcript should state how many credits you fulfilled.


Your home institution must give you full academic recognition for completing the activities on your learning agreement using ECTS credits.