European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Studying abroad

Hands on a globe. Source:
Many people choose to spend part of their time in education studying abroad. The EU has a large system in place for studying abroad, to which you can turn both to find courses and to apply for grants.

The EU is doing a great deal to make it easier for young people and students who want to conduct part of their studies abroad. There are a large number of collaborations between schools in Sweden and other countries, and there are different types of study grants that you can apply for. The quickest way to find information on the various options available is to visit the website of the Swedish Council for Higher Education.

Erasmus (+)

In Sweden it is the Swedish Council for Higher Education that organises one of the most common ways of studying abroad with the help of the EU, namely the exchange programme for university students, formerly named Erasmus. The programme makes it possible for students in higher education to travel to another EU country. The programme is funded by the European Commission. You can also organise your exchange yourself by taking contact directly with the school that you want to attend. Or you can go via an organisation that works to facilitate contacts of this kind between schools and students.


Erasmus + is a programme intended specifically for young people who want to participate in international collaborations within the fields of education and sport. The programme will be in action from the beginning of 2014 until 2020.

Study grants

Everyone who studies abroad can apply for money to do so from CSN. What is most important is that the studies must be full-time. Remember that some schools also require you to pay tuition fees. It is also important that you yourself have enough money to get by in the country you will be living in.

Work experience or voluntary work

Another way of getting out into the world via the EU is to do work experience in one of the many different parts of the EU. You can do this both as a student and once you have completed your education. Every year it is possible to apply for work experience places in one of the EU countries, at offices that look after the massive EU machinery. The work experience positions are usually five months long, and some of them pay a salary. You can also travel abroad as a volunteer  and make an important contribution for between two and twelve months, maybe by helping other young people to study or by helping to rebuild a damaged school. This is also a fun way of getting out into the world!


                                                                                                                       Johanna Wester