Sofia leads a rap choir for girls
– GeniusRAP is a rap choir for girls, a platform where they get to interact with the music, says Sofia Lindman. We inspire girls to assert themselves and to raise their voices in a male-dominated industry. They get to work with themselves and their self-esteem and the group is there to support and encourage them.
What made you start a rap choir?
– We were tired of being frustrated. About injustice, social inequality, mental health problems that just keep on increasing, the gender equality debate that often stays as nothing more than a debate... We were also people who talked about things, but we understood that something has to happen, someone has to act. And in Sweden, rap had started to become a little “dangerous”. The female acts were asserting themselves more and more. Then it hit us: we have to combine creativity, rap music and the choir to raise our voices and show the importance of doing it together.
What advice would you give to other young people who want to start their own projects but who might not have the courage to begin?
– It’s essential to surround yourself with the right people. I mean people who encourage and believe in you. If you’re in the phase where you’re experiencing doubt, and want to bounce ideas off someone or just need that extra bit of encouragement, feel free to send me an e-mail and I promise you a massive amount of encouragement and a sounding board to bounce ideas around with! [You’ll find Sofia’s e-mail address below.]
Have you ever had to wrestle with self-doubt yourself?
– Yes, often. When you have to prove that you’ve got what it takes and have the competence required. It’s part of the journey I guess. I think it’s important not to see negative thoughts about yourself as a defeat but rather as a part of the process. There isn’t a single person who hasn’t doubted themselves. But I also think, again, that it’s about having a good crew who can remind you how good you are, if you should forget.
What are the plans for GeniusRAP in the future?
– Our goal of course is to develop the concept globally. Not just to start more choirs but also to create meetings and exchanges among them. The greater the number of perspectives, the stronger the message and the more girls who have the courage to assert themselves, the bigger and more powerful the ripples will be!
Curious to know more about GeniusRAP? Follow them one Facebook by clicking the link below. You can also e-mail Sofia direct at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Text: André Vifot Haas