European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

What you need to know before moving to another EU country

Young people leaving with suitcases and rucksacks
© - Artens
In this article we give you an overview of information you need to know as an Irish citizen before you move to another country.

Visa Requirements

As an Irish citizen, you are also an EU citizen and so you have the right to live and work in any of the EU member countries without a visa. You will be required to have a valid form of ID.

From the Citizens Information website
"If you are unemployed, you have the right to live in another EU country for a "reasonable period" of time in order to look for a job. In the absence of a definition of "reasonable period", most EU countries are now operating a 6-month period." 
"Members of your family, whatever their nationality, have the right to accompany you or to join you in your country of employment."
"You and your family members have the right to the same social benefits as the nationals of the host member state. This includes the right to education access and benefits."


Right of movement & citizenship

From the European Commission Representation in Ireland website
"European citizens can enter, live and stay in any EU country simply by presenting their passport at the border, if requested to do so. There are no questions to answer or special formalities to comply with. If the stay is longer than three months it might be necessary to register the residency, but this is usually just a formality if you're working, studying or have health insurance and enough funds so as not to become a financial burden on the host nation." 
"European citizens and members of their families living continuously in another EU country for five years or more are now entitled to permanent residency, which means they then legally have virtually complete equality of treatment with nationals of the host nation.

A valid full Irish driving licence legally allows you to drive in any EU country. You can also move money around, open bank accounts, buy property and goods, and invest in shares anywhere in the EU.


Your Rights

The European Commission has provided detailed guides on your rights as an EU citizen when living in another EU country (plus the EEA countries). It gives details on pensions, unemployment, healthcare and family benefits. Click on the country of your choice, and select your language of preference.

If you live in another EU country, you have the right to vote and to stand as a candidate in municipal and European elections held in that country. The conditions are the same for you as for nationals.


Ready for Work

When working and living in a country, you may need to register your residence (generally after 3 months), and register for tax purposes.

EURES (The European Job Mobility Portal) gives an overview of living and working conditions for each EU country, with some specifying tax rates. EURES also gives a very handy brief overview of each countries economic status. 

Your Europe Advice also provides a country-by-country break down of working, taxes and unemployment benefits.

Getting recognition of your qualifications can be very important in getting a job in another country; EURES also gives information on doing so, when you select your destination country - under Working Conditions - Recognition of Diplomas and qualifications.

Each country is responsible for recognising qualifications from other countries. NARIC is the official EU-wide body that deals with academic qualifications recognition. 

ENIC-NARIC lists the contact points for each centre in the EU countries. It may be possible to have further education and training awards recognised as well as higher education and training awards.

Also check out Europass - an initiative which aims to help people make their skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in Europe.



Health Care

When travelling in Europe, it is important to have your healthcare looked after in case something happens.

The European Health Insurance Card is "A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland." You can find more information on the European Commission site.

This card is not an alternative to travel insurance. It means you can receive treatment under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in that country (free in some countries). You can also view details of your destination country's health care system on the European Commission site.



Handy Resources

Customs & Cultures in EU countries

Written from an American perspective, this article makes recommendations on customs to follow when in Europe.


Cost of living

Check out our guide to the cost of living in Europe, for comparing important figures on rents, groceries and travel.


Learning the language

It can be useful or indeed essential to learn the local language, depending on how long your stay is. Check out Eurodesk language links here.



Published: Fri, 17/10/2014 - 16:33

Tweet Button: 

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!