European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Your skills recognised in every European country

© - skynesher
© - skynesher
Whether it's through a job, studies, volunteering or other activities abroad; you pick up important skills and qualifications that help you in the future. What does the EU do to ensure that these are recognised in other European countries?



You might want to get your studies recognised in another country, maybe because you'll be going on an exchange or because you want to work or study somewhere else. To make this easier, the EU has developed two credit systems that show the relative levels of credits obtained in different EU countries: ECTS for higher education and ECVET for vocational education and training.


Apart from the credit systems, there is also the European Qualifications Framework (EQF) which shows how different national qualifications frameworks and systems compare. This helps you to work out the level of qualifications in other European countries, by linking each national level to one of eight EQF reference levels.


Non-formal and informal learning


Getting your skills validated isn't always easy. After completing formal education, such as a bachelor’s degree at university, you receive a diploma to prove you obtained certain qualifications and skills. But what if you did a voluntary project? No doubt you picked up skills that will be useful for the rest of your life, but this might not be spelt out on a piece of paper.


To facilitate recognition of non-formal and informal learning processes (such as those involved when you do voluntary work), countries in the EU are asked to have arrangements for this kind of validation in place since 2018. A European Inventory gives an overview of good validation practices already in place.


European Skills Passport


Bring all your skills together with the Europass European Skills Passport! The Passport consists of five documents that together show possible future empoyers, for example, the skills and qualifications you have. There is a CV and a language passport in which you can list the languages you know, your level of speaking, listening, reading and certificates or other language experiences.


Also, the Europass Mobility registers knowledge and skills acquired in another European country, such as during a work placement, academic term or voluntary project. Finally, the diploma and certificate supplements allow you to further elaborate on what you have learned in the course of the activity covered by a diploma or certificate.




Have you taken part in an Erasmus+ project and would you like to see the skills you gained there recognised in your home country or another EU country? Then Youthpass is for you! For now, it's only available for Youth Exchanges, European Voluntary Service and Mobility for Youth Workers, but soon you will be able to create a Youthpass for other activities as well.