European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Feel like studying abroad?

Find out some of the exchange programmes and their requirements to apply from Western Balkans universities.

Spend one or two semesters studying at a University abroad and enrich yourself learning a foreign language, meeting people from different cultures or just living in another country.

In 2014, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania and Montenegro signed-up to partly participate in the Erasmus+ programme.


Since then, most universities in these countries have agreements with partner universities in the European Union. That means, as a student, trainee or academic staff you can spend one or two semesters at a higher education institution abroad. 

In addition to this, some universities hold bilateral agreements with several higher education institutions also outside the EU. You just need to check the international cooperation department of your university to find out which partnerships and programmes you can participate in.


Some other mobility exchanges for PhD students and post-doctoral fellows are:


Central European Exchange Program for University Studies (CEEPUS). This is a programme focused on joint degrees, specially, joint PhD programmes for students from Albania, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, the Slovak Republic and Slovenia and Prishtina/Kosovo. Check the national CEEPUS office in your country.

- Erasmus Western Balkans (ERAWEB). This is a joint mobility programme offered by eight Western Balkan universities and six EU universities.


It is aimed at post doctoral fellows who want to study, teach and research abroad in the field of medicine and health sciences. Find out here how to apply.

If you are from a Western Balkan country and prefer not to take part in a student exchange, but you are interested in being a full degree seeking student at a University in Europe, then you will need to hold a higher education certificate before applying.

For example, if you graduated at the University of Belgrade, you can enrol for a Master or Doctoral studies at a foreign university.