European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Get your residence permit to study in Europe

Dina Filipovic was born in Derventa (Bosnia and Herzegovina) 29 years ago. Now she is currently working in Brussels (Belgium) after finishing her Master’s studies in Austria. Find out how she obtained her student residence permit.

 “After finishing my Bachelor in Economics in Sarajevo, I found some interesting programmes to study in Europe in an educational fair. A Master’s studies in Controlling, Accounting and Financial Management in Austria caught my eye. I applied and after an online interview I was accepted”. 


That was just the beginning of Dina’s story abroad. The next step after being admitted to a higher education institution in the Schengen area was obtaining the student residence permit. To get this document, you need to go to the embassy or consulate of the country where you will study.


“I went to the Embassy of Austria in Sarajevo to ask for this permit, but as I got accepted in the middle of July and the lectures started in September they recommended me to apply directly to the Immigration Authority in Austria” – says Dina -. “I travelled to Austria in September with my passport and I applied for my student residence permit directly there. I received it after one month and a half”


Apart from the acceptance letter from your host university, to get your student residence permit, you have to prove that you fulfil certain conditions.

One of them is that you have enough money to cover your living expenses during your stay.


“You can do this with the proof that you have a scholarship or a job, but also through a bank statement showing that you have a certain amount of money in the bank, or naming a person who will provide it for you. In other words, you need to demonstrate that you will be able to pay your own expenses.”


In addition to this, depending on the country, you may need other documents.

“In my case in Austria, I also needed health insurance, so I took out a policy with a company there.”


The student residence permit will last for a year, and can be renewed if you continue to meet the necessary conditions.


“I really recommend going abroad to everybody,” says Dina.

“You have more opportunities to develop yourself, especially in the professional sense, and through that you can help your family and your own country by sharing your knowledge, your experience and another point of view”

Published: Wed, 22/06/2016 - 12:37

Related links

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!