European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

I come back home!: steps for returning of young workers

¡Vuelvo a casa!: los pasos para el retorno de jóvenes trabajadores
You have been working for some time outside of Spain and you decide to come back: Do you know what you have to do? Find out about the necessary steps to adapt to your new situation.

Before arriving ... the most usual procedures

  • Consultation with the Consulate of Spain as well as with the Ministry of Employment and Social Security of Spain in the country where you reside to get informed. If you are in the Register of Residents of the Consulate of the country or  in the Electoral Census of Spaniards resident abroad (CERA), you have to unregister.
  • Collect all the documentation about your professional activity to request the basic benefits: employment contracts, payroll, Social Security certificates, or any other document. If you have worked in EU and EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and Australia, you will have to apply for the Social Security Agency's certificate that proves the periods of contribution, insurance or employment.
  • You can also prepare the documentation to transfer furniture, personal effects or instruments required for the job. And to recover the Spanish nationality, in case you had lost it.
  • If you return to Spain permanently, you may be able to get your flight tickets at a reduced price, requesting it at the headquarters of the International Organization for Migration, located in the capitals cities of a lot of countries.


You have already arrived ... the most usual procedures

  • Sign up in the register of inhabitants of your municipality so that your documents already include your new residence. For this you need your DNI in force.
  • Apply for the Returned Emigrant Certificate , which serves you for two years, and is necessary for request benefits. If you have been working in EU, EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), Switzerland or Australia you DO NOT NEED the certificate.
  • If your driving license has been issued by EU  and the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) it remains valid in Spain. Driving licenses issued in other countries will be valid if there is a corresponding agreement.
  • You can request the transfer of records of the inscriptions made at the Consulates regarding births, marriages and deaths or diversity of surnames  to the Civil Registry of your address.
  • Bank accounts, term deposits or securities accounts abroad: You have an obligation to declare to the Bank of Spain.
  • Health care: Usually you have health care if you are a worker affiliated to the system, benefit recipient or unemployed without  benefits; or you are not in any of those cases but you have Spanish nationality and you already reside in Spanish territory. Please, note that depending on the country you are returning from, you can export your health care entitlement.


If you still have doubts or some other issues to solve, contact the Return Office  (General Directorate of Migration of the Ministry of Employment and Social Security) and consult the Return Guide .


Written by Eurodesk Qualified Multiplier, Informajoven Ayuntamiento de Murcia.

Traslation by voluntary cooperation: Andrea Torralba Gálvez

Published: Thu, 09/03/2017 - 10:11

Tweet Button: 

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!