European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

The professional acknowledgement in Spain

El reconocimiento profesional en España
El reconocimiento profesional en España
How to get a training or professional experience acknowledgement?

Do you have a vocational training or any occupational training, including non-formal training?

Do you have working experience?

In Europe, it is possible to obtain an official qualification which certifies your professional competences.

In this way, the competences you acquired through a working experience can be officially acknowledged.

You can also raise your qualification level.

Another advantage is that your competences will be recognizable and easy to find into the job market.

Besides, you can get vocational training qualifications laid down in the job market law or professional certificate or certificate of proficiency.

Finally, if you wish to carry out more studies and on a higher level, some of the taught subjects can be acknowledged too.

In Spain there is the Catálogo Nacional de Cualificaciones Profesionales (Spanish National Catalogue of Professional Qualifications). It is a set of documents that allows you to know everything about professional competences.

If your professional competences are the same included in a professional qualification, you can get a professional qualification which will make you recognizable as a professional. It can also be useful to keep on carrying out vocational or occupational training studies, because they are acknowledged.

In the case the professional competences do not reach the amount contained in a vocational training qualification or a professional qualification, it is possible to make a partial certification.

Later, the worker can carry through his training in order to obtain the equivalent qualification or certification.

Would you like to know the European common key principles about the acknowledgement of non/formal and informal learning?

Things to know if you want to get the acknowledgement.

Requirements and steps in Spain:

- Be a Spanish or EU citizen, hold the public record communitary certification or a card that proves you are a EU citizen relative, an alien or working registration card, according to the key principles established in the Spanish foreign and immigration law.

- For the first level qualifications: 18 years old. For the second and third level qualifications: 20 years old.

-    Work experience. For the second and third level: At least 3 years (2,000 hours worked in the last ten years. For the first level: at least 2 years (1,200 hours)

You can also provide:

-    Training certifications dealing with these professional competences. In this case and for second and third level qualifications: at least 300 hours. For first level qualifications> at least 200 hours.

People older than 25 years old who cannot prove it can provide other proofs allowed by the law.

If you come across a difficult task, you can begin to get in touch with the corresponding organization in your country.

Look for in CEDEFOP. Or at the end of this article.

Information, institutions and official documents

Ministry of Education's National Qualifications Catalogue (INCUAL) shows information about evaluation and accreditation of professional competences acquired through job experience and non formal training.


•    European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (CEDEFOP)
•    ENIC-NARIC Network
•    NARIC Spain
•    Ministry of Education
•    EURES
•    Lifelong Learning
•    European principles for the identification and validation of non-formal and informal learning
Directiva reconocimiento cualificaciones 2005/36.

Some Nationals qualification authorities

•    Germany, Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung (BIBB)

•    Denmark, Danish Agency for International Education (DEK).

•    France Centre d'études et des recherches sur les Qualifications (CÉREQ)

•    Greece. OEEK

•    Italy.Istituto per lo Sviluppo della Formazione Professionale dei Lavoratori (ISFOL).

•    Ireland National Qualifications Authority of Ireland (NQAI)

•    Netherlands Centre of Expertise on Vocational Education and Training (CINOP)

•    Portugal Agência Nacional para a Qualificação, (ANQ)

•    UK Scotland, Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)

•    UK, Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency (QCDA)


Written by Eurodesk Qualified Multiplier, Ayuntamiento de Albacete

Published: Mon, 11/11/2013 - 12:04

Tweet Button: 

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!