European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Right of free movement and residence of european citizens

One of the main rights of citizens of the European Union is the free movement within its borders . This right is expressed through the area of freedom , security and justice free of internal borders.

The concept of free movement of persons stated in the Schengen Agreement in 1985 and the subsequent Schengen Convention of 1990, which was the beginning of the removal of border controls between participating countries. The Schengen cooperation as part of the legal and institutional framework of the EU, has gradually expanded to include most of the Member States and some EU countries.

The abolition of internal borders means reinforced external borders of the Union and the regularization of the entry and residence of people from non-EU countries through measures such as the common policy on asylum and immigration.

What is the Schengen Agreement
The Schengen Agreement is an agreement that several European countries have abolished internal border controls and these controls have moved to the external borders (with third countries). The agreement was signed in 1985 and entered into force in 1995.
Members:  Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Netherlands, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Sweden and Switzerland (this last one voted in a referendum to restrict the entry of foreigns nationals which can lead to an abandonment of the Schengen area).

National  Citizens of a Schengen country
Nationals Citizens  of a country that has signed the Schengen agreement and traveling to another which is also part of this treaty, do not need a passport or visa.

Nationals of other EU countries
Some countries that are not EU members signed the Treaty itself that allows the free movement of European citizens. This means that if you are traveling from any country in the Schengen zone to any other EU country or vice versa, can be done only with the national identity card or passport.

Foreign residents
Foreigners residing in any of the Schengen countries and traveling to another Schengen country , need a valid passport and residence permit in Schengen country . Holders of a residence permit issued by any of the States mentioned may move for a maximum period of three months.
Nonresident Foreign.For foreigners visiting any of the countries of the treaty , they will need a valid passport and Schengen visa. This document is the same for all members , but to get it they must certify that a medical and legal insurance.

Written by Qualified Multiplier Eurodesk, Ayuntamiento de Leganés

Published: Thu, 29/05/2014 - 13:30

Tweet Button: 

Related links

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!