European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.

Work permits for non-EU foreigners

Permisos de trabajo para extranjeros no comunitarios
Permisos de trabajo para extranjeros no comunitarios
Below we explain what non-Community foreigners have to do to get a work permit in Spain. There are different types of permit depending on whether the foreigner wants to work as an employee or be self-employed.

Working in Spain as a non-Community foreigner – Steps for getting a work permit

1.    Working as an employee
If you want to work as an employee in Spain, contracted by an employer, the employer must apply for the initial permit, presenting the job offer, together with other documents, at the corresponding Foreigners’ Office. The contract must be a full-time one for at least a year. If the national employment situation allows – that is, if the job appears in a list of occupations that are difficult to fill, or in the case of any of the exemptions in article 40 of LO4/2000 (families reunited, refugees and stateless persons, renewal of previous authorizations, etc.) - permission is given for the person to be hired.
 When a positive decision is received, you need to process your visa at the Spanish consulate in your country of origin within a month, presenting a certificate that you have no criminal record, a medical certificate and a passport valid for at least another 4 months.


2.    Being self-employed
If you want to be self-employed in Spain, either working as a freelance or setting up your own company, you have to apply for a work permit yourself at the Spanish consulate in your country of origin. To do this, you need to present the documents necessary for beginning and operating your planned activity.

The work permit must be processed from your country of origin unless you have a residence permit. Once in Spain you need to register with the Social Security authorities and apply for your Foreigner’s Identity Card. Socially established persons who have been on Spanish territory for more than three years and who meet the legally established requirements for these circumstances also have the chance to regularize their situation.

The initial work permit is limited to a particular geographical area and sector of activity. It lasts for one year and can be renewed twice, for two years each time.


Long-term residence
After having lived and worked in Spain continuously for five years, you can apply for a long-term residence and work permit. With this permit you have the right to be self-employed or an employee or unemployed in Spain.

+ info:


Written by Eurodesk Qualified Multiplier, Ayuntamiento de Barcelona


Published: Mon, 11/11/2013 - 13:55

Tweet Button: 

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!