European Youth Portal
Information and opportunities for young people across Europe.


Student@work TV commercial (NL)

There are a few things you need to know when you get a job as a student. Because like normal jobs, there are rules for student jobs. What are the rules?

Can I have a job as a student?

Full-time education

If you are following full-time education, you can have a job as a work student once:

- you have reached the age of 16 years;
- you have reached the age of 15 years and you have completed the first two study years ofsecondary education.

Part-time education

If you go to school on a part-time basis, you can only work as a work student if :

- you do not work under a part-time employment or training contract;
- you do not go through an apprenticeship by virtue of an apprenticeship contract;
- you are not receiving a transitional pay (unemployment insurance);
- you are only working during the school holidays


Evening classes

If you are following evening classes (or another form of education with a limited curriculum), you are no longer considered as student. In that case you cannot perform any longer a student job.


Long-term contracts

If you are bound with the same employer by a contract which lasts more than 12 months, you are considered as a salaried worker and no longer as a student. Consequently you can no longer perform a student job for this employer.


What are these "50 days"?

As a student you receive from the government  a package of 50 days each year (your ‘contingent’) during which you pay less social contributions than a standard employee.

You can check how many days you have left with the Student@work - 50days application.

You are allowed to work for more than 50 days, but this will be less advantageous.


I don’t study in Belgium or do not live in Belgium but in one of the neighbouring countries. Do I receive 50 days too?

Yes. You too have the right to participate in the 50 day plan, which allows you to work and to pay reduced social contribution. The general rule is that the social security contributions are owed to the country where you work.

In case you work not only in Belgium but also in another country, there are different rules. In that case please contact us to receive advice tailored to your individual situation.


I am only studying in Belgium temporarily. Do I receive 50 days too?

Every student who is allowed to carry out student work in Belgium is entitled to 50 days during which he/she may work for reduced social contributions. This is regardless of his/her nationality or origin.

If your nationality is not that of any of the states of the European Union (except from Bulgaria and Romania) or that of any of the following states : Lichtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, you are not automatically entitled to work in Belgium. In this case, there are restrictions or additional conditions which you may need to fulfil before you can start working.

Published: Wed, 23/10/2013 - 10:15

Tweet Button: 

Info for young people in the western balkans

Need expert help or advice?

Ask us!