Last checked : 09/03/2018

Professional bodies and language requirements

UK decision to invoke Article 50 of the TEU: More information

For the time being, the United Kingdom remains a full member of the EU and rights and obligations continue to fully apply in and to the UK:

Titles / professional associations

Once your qualifications have been recognised, the authorities must allow you to use the academic title you had in your home country, and possibly an abbreviated form, as well as the professional title used in your new country.

If your profession is regulated by an association or organisation in the country where you want to work, you will have to become a member before you can use the professional title.

Before you apply to have your qualifications recognised, read the EU guide to recognition of professional qualifications.

Language tests

Your new country might require you to show that you already have some knowledge of the national language(s).

Any language requirements should be for one purpose only — to ensure that you know enough to work in your chosen profession in your new country.

EU legislation

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: