Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 01/03/2017

Car registration and taxes – Sweden

Registration rules

As an EU national moving to Sweden, you must register a car if you are the owner of the vehicle.

Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle

If you change your country of residence to Sweden, you have 1 week (7 days) to re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country.

To re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, go to the Swedish Transport Agency.

Temporary registration plates

If you buy a car abroad, transit registration plates issued in another EU country will be recognised in Sweden for the purposes of driving your car back to your place of residence.

You can get the transit plates at the Swedish Transport Agency.

Exemptions from the obligation to register a vehicle

As an EU national moving to Sweden, you can use your vehicle here while it is still registered in your previous country of residence.

You can only use it for 1 week (7 days).


If you are a student in Sweden from another EU country and you intend to stay for over a year you must:

  • register your own car with the authorities here for your period of study (this also applies if the car is owned by your parents, who are not resident in Sweden)
  • pay registration taxes on it in Sweden
  • buy car insurance in Sweden for your period of study here

Pensioners, Second Home Owners, Cross-border Commuters, Self-employed cross-border commuters (company cars)

As EU nationals with a second home in Sweden (that you use for no more than 6 months a year), you do not need to register your vehicles here.

You are exempt from compulsory car registration if your stay does not exceed 185 days per year.

Car tax

As an EU national, if you want to register and use your car in Sweden, you must pay the following taxes:

  • registration taxes: there is a SEK 600 fee to apply for a roadworthiness certificate
  • road tax: not applicable
  • other taxes: see congestion tax below

The following categories of vehicle are exempt from registration and road taxes:

  • certain very old cars
  • veteran cars over 30 years old
  • green/clean cars

If you do not register your vehicle in Sweden, it is not subject to the above taxes and you may only use your car if you are here on a temporary basis.

There is a system of congestion taxes in Stockholm and Gothenburg. All categories of vehicles are subject to congestion taxes (with the exception of certain clean/green vehicles) regardless of whether they are registered in Sweden or not. For more information contact the Swedish Transport Agency.

Find out more about vehicle tax in Sweden.

See main information on this topic
Car registration and taxes
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice