Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 01/03/2017

Car registration and taxes – Lithuania

Registration rules

As an EU national moving to Lithuania, you must register your car if you are the holder of the registration certificate.

Exemptions from the obligation to register a vehicle

As an EU national moving to Lithuania, you can use your vehicle here while it is still registered in your previous home country.

You can use it for 6 months under the following conditions: the holder of the registration certificate changes his place of residence and the vehicle has a valid registration certificate from another EU country.


If you are a student in Lithuania from another EU country you:

  • do not have to register your own car with the authorities here for your period of study. This also applies if the car is owned by your parents, who are not resident in Lithuania
  • do not have to pay registration and/or road taxes on it in Lithuania (there are no registration and/or road taxes in Lithuania at this time)
  • do not have to buy additional car insurance for your period of study here

If, as a student, you are also working in Lithuania, you don't have to register the vehicle and pay related taxes.

Pensioners, second home owners, cross-border commuters, self-employed cross-border commuters (company cars)

As EU nationals with a second home in Lithuania (that you use for no more than 6 months a year), you do not need to register your vehicles here.

You are exempt from compulsory car registration if you meet the following criteria: only if you are not a resident.

Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle

If you change your country of residence to Lithuania , you have 6 months to re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country – measured from the date you started to use the vehicle on national roads. Actually, no clear control mechanism has been set up yet, as you can cross the border without any record being kept.

To re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, go to the State Enterprise Regitra. The addresses of the operating branches can be found here on the websiteLietuvi┼│ .

Temporary registration plates

If you buy a car abroad, transit registration plates issued in another EU country will be recognised in Lithuania for the purposes of driving your car back to your place of residence.

You can get the transit plates at: the State Enterprise Regitra, for EUR 27.

Car tax

There are no registration and/or road taxes in Lithuania at this time.

See main information on this topic
Car registration and taxes
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice