Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 01/03/2017

Car registration documents and formalities – Sweden

Roadworthiness tests

If you buy a new car in Sweden, you must have it checked again for roadworthiness within 3 years from the date of its initial roadworthiness check and registration. The next roadworthiness test for a new car must take place within 2 years, thus when the car is 5 years old.

If you have a car 5 years or older in Sweden, you must have it periodically tested for roadworthiness once every year from the date of the last roadworthiness check.

A roadworthiness test doesn't have to be conducted when a vehicle changes owner.

If you register your car as a new resident in Sweden, moving from another EU country, a roadworthiness test is not required.

Contact body for roadworthiness tests: assessors are accredited by the Swedish Board for Accreditation and Conformity Assessment.

To ensure your vehicle and its equipment function correctly and comply with safety standards, it must undergo regular roadworthiness tests, which generally comprise the following checks:

  • effectiveness of windscreen wipers
  • damage to windows or mirrors
  • lights – indicators, hazard, brake, reverse, licence plate and fog lights
  • headlights – position of dipped-beam and main-beam
  • tyres – tread depth ≥ 1.6 mm
  • rear-view mirrors – reflecting surface, fixation and adjustment
  • functioning of safety belts
  • functioning of the engine/motor
  • functioning of the breaks
  • existence of a warning device in case of accident, a warning triangle


Procedure for:

- initial registration

You can register your vehicle at the Swedish Transport Agency.

To register an imported vehicle (new or used), you must submit the following documents:

  1. new vehicle: the original registration document
  2. used vehicle: the original registration document

- renewal

You can renew the registration of your car at the Swedish Transport Agency where you will be required to present the expiring registration document.

See main information on this topic
Car registration documents and formalities
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice