Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 01/03/2017

Car insurance cover abroad – Portugal

Affected by Brexit?

If you have an accident, you are required by law to call the police to the scene of the accident, in the following circumstances: if corporal damage has occurred.

The procedure for claiming compensation from the other driver's insurance company includes: the filing of the official accident declaration form, if possible signed by both interveners in the accident, which should be delivered whether to the own victim insurer (if the insurer has signed the inter-insurers Agreement "Indemnização Direta ao Segurado"), or to the responsible insurer.

You do not have to use the official accident declaration form, but it is advisable to use the official form (for expediting the regularization proceedings).

Accident declaration: all insurers authorized to offer compulsory motor insurance (motor third-party liability insurance) in Portugal may display on their website the official accident declaration form ("declaração amigável de acidente automóvel).

If you don't have an accident declaration form, you must note down the following facts while still at the scene of accident:date, hour, location, corporal damage (Y/N), material damage, witnesses, identification of intervenient (vehicles, insured persons, insurance policies, drivers), circumstances of the accident and concrete and visible material damage.

The minimum insurance coverage in Portugal is:

  • for personal injury:
    • per claim:  EUR 5 000 000
  • for damage to property:
    • per claim:  EUR 1 000 000

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: