Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 01/03/2017

Car insurance cover abroad – Ireland

If you have an accident, you are required by law to call the police to the scene of the accident, in the following circumstances:

Your legal obligations, if you are involved in a motor accident, are contained in Section 106 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 as amended. You must stop your car and remain at the scene of the accident for a reasonable time.
If a Garda is present at the scene of the accident you must give, when requested:

• Your name and address
• The address where your car is kept
• The name and address of the car owner
• The car registration number
• Motor insurance details (including expiry date of the policy)
If there is no Garda present you must, when requested, give this information to:
• The injured person where a person has been injured (or someone asking on the person's behalf).
• To the owner where property has been damaged (or someone asking on the owner's behalf).
If none of these are present the information should be given to some independent person who was present when the accident occurred.
If there is no Garda present, the accident must be reported as soon as possible to a Garda who is nearby or at a Garda station. This can be done by the persons, if any, to whom you gave the information. If they are not in a position to do so, you must report the accident.

The procedure for claiming compensation from the other driver's insurance company includes:

  • Report the matter to the Gardai immediately.
  • Advise your insurance company straight away.

You do not have to use the official accident declaration form.

If you don't have an accident declaration form, you must note down the following facts while still at the scene of accident:

  • Name and address of the other party
  • The address where the car is kept
  • The name and address of the car owner
  • The car's registration number
  • Motor insurance details (including expiry date of the policy)
  • If the accident involves damage to property get the owner's name, address and telephone number.
  • Get the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses as these may be required if there is a question of liability.
  • Take photos of the scene of the accident if you have a camera. These should include photos of the cars before they are moved.
  • You should obtain the name or number of the Garda to whom the accident is reported. You may need to ensure that a Garda report has been filed for insurance purposes.
  • You should write down an account of all relevant facts connected to the accident as soon as possible afterwards. You should sign and date it (including the time) when it is completed.

The minimum insurance coverage in Ireland is:

  • for personal injury:
    • per victim: unlimited
    • per claim: unlimited
  • for damage to property:
    • per claim: €1,000,000
See main information on this topic
Car insurance cover abroad
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice