Car insurance cover abroad – Estonia
Affected by Brexit?
If you have an accident, you are required by law to call the police to the scene of the accident, in the following circumstances:
- the traffic accident resulted in injured persons or casualties;
- it is not possible to document the facts at the scene, for instance if one party refuses to document the accident; and
- the person who sustained damage is not on the scene (e.g. the owner of a parked vehicle, traffic sign, fence or street light poles).
The procedure for claiming compensation from the other driver's insurance company involves:
- filling out an accident declaration or describe and draw the accident sequence (on paper) together with the other party involved in the accident;
- the victim should return the signed documents either to his own insurance company or could also return them to the other party's insurer;
- presenting the claim (calculation of losses).
You do not have to use the official accident declaration form.
If you do not have et, you must note down the following facts while still at the scene of accident:
- when and where the accident took place;
- who was involved in the accident and with which vehicles;
- what happened, i.e. the scheme of the accident; and
- who caused the accident.
While documenting the accident, you should make sure that:
- the more accurately the documents are prepared at the scene, the simpler it will be to proceed with the matter – sometimes it may happen that compensation will not be paid due to the fact that the documents are incomplete or not accurately prepared;
- while the parties involved in the traffic accident are preparing the documents, the vehicles must be in the same positions as they were after the accident;
- in documenting the names of persons and the data on vehicles, their correctness has to be checked against documents;
- each party should also read the text documented by the other party and correct the mistakes if necessary, and the document should be signed by both parties;
- it would be wise to take photos of the scene or film it.
The minimum insurance coverage in Estonia is:
- for personal injury: per claim: EUR 5 600 000
- for damage to property: per claim: EUR 1 200 000