Driving licence renewal in another EU country – Austria
Affected by Brexit?
Renew your driving licence
As an EU national living in Austria, if you want to renew a driving licence issued in another EU country, you can do so at the local de.
You can find more information on HELP.gv.at.
Replace a lost driving licence
If you lose your driving licence or it is stolen, you need to report this to the police as soon as possible, at the latest within a week of it happening. The document you receive confirming that you have reported your licence lost or stolen is valid as a temporary licence for four weeks, albeit only within Austria.
This temporary licence contains all the same information as your normal licence - including any applicable limitations, restrictions and conditions, as well as your personal data and licence categories.
The temporary driving licence is valid only:
- for a maximum of four weeks from the date of issue (this cannot be extended)
- in conjunction with official photo ID
- within Austria
Required documents in case of loss of theft:
- official photo ID
- loss or theft report made to the police
- portrait photo (45 mm high by 35 mm wide) enabling easy recognition of the licence-holder (fulfilling the criteria for passport photos, if possible)
- possibly, residence registration certificate (to facilitate processing by the authorities)
If you are abroad when you lose your licence or it is stolen, a duplicate Austrian licence cannot be issued in that country.