Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 12/02/2020

Driving licence renewal in another EU country – Austria

Affected by Brexit?

Renew your driving licence

As an EU national living in Austria, if you want to renew a driving licence issued in another EU country, you can do so at the local driving licence authorityde.

You can find more information on HELP.gv.at.

Replace a lost driving licence

If you lose your driving licence or it is stolen, you need to report this to the police as soon as possible, at the latest within a week of it happening. The document you receive confirming that you have reported your licence lost or stolen is valid as a temporary licence for four weeks, albeit only within Austria.

This temporary licence contains all the same information as your normal licence - including any applicable limitations, restrictions and conditions, as well as your personal data and licence categories.

The temporary driving licence is valid only:

  • for a maximum of four weeks from the date of issue (this cannot be extended)
  • in conjunction with official photo ID
  • within Austria

Required documents in case of loss of theft:

  • official photo ID
  • loss or theft report made to the police
  • portrait photo (45 mm high by 35 mm wide) enabling easy recognition of the licence-holder (fulfilling the criteria for passport photos, if possible)
  • possibly, residence registration certificate (to facilitate processing by the authorities)

If you are abroad when you lose your licence or it is stolen, a duplicate Austrian licence cannot be issued in that country.

More informationde

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: