Driving licence recognition and validity – Spain
Driving licence validity in Spain
Driving licences are valid for 10 years.
Driving licences for people over 65 years old are valid for:
- 5 years - category A
- 5 years - category B
If you have a driving licence valid for life issued in another EU country, you will need to exchange your driving licence within 2 years of registering your residence in Spain.
Non-EU licences – exchange and recognition
You will need to exchange your licence within 6 months of obtaining your residence card in Spain.
To exchange your non-EU driving licence you will need to:
- contact the es of your province, and
- submit the following documents :
- Official application form
- Proof of identity and residence: National identity card or passport; your residence card, national identity card or passport and your certificate of registration in the Central Register for Foreign Nationals if your are an EU national; residence card for non-EU nationals. Valid residence card.
- Medical fitness report. This can be obtained at a Driver Recognition Centre, which will forward it electronically to the Provincial Traffic Office.
- Driving licence: original valid licence plus a photocopy
- Up-to-date 32 mm x 26 mm colour photo
- Completed and signed photo stub (which you can obtain from Provincial Traffic Offices)
- Written declaration stating that you have not been banned by court order from driving motor vehicles and mopeds, and have not been disqualified or suspended.
- Written declaration stating that you do not hold another driving licence or permit of the same category as the one requested, which was issued either in Spain or in another EU country.
If you have an EU driving licence that was issued in exchange of a driving licence from a non-EU country, you can use it in Spain.
Fact sheet on es