Driving licence recognition and validity – Lithuania
Driving licence validity in Lithuania
Driving licences are valid for: 10 years
Driving licences for novice drivers are valid for:
- 2 years - category A
- 2 years - category B
Driving licences for elderly drivers are valid for:
- 10 years - category A
- 10 years - category B
If you hold a driving licence for life (i.e. one that remains administratively valid for an unlimited period) that was issued by another EU country, you will not have to renew the licence after changing your usual place of residence.
Non-EU driving licences - exchange & recognition
You must exchange your non-EU driving licence before it expires after you become resident of Lithuania. If your non-EU driving licence expires after moving, you must exchange it within 12 months of moving.
To exchange your non-EU driving licence:
- go to the State Enterprise "Regitra"
- hand in the following documents:
- a valid identity document;
- a valid medical certificate;
- a non-EU driving licence, which conforms to the requirements of conventions on road traffic, together with a translation into the Lithuanian language. If the non-EU driving licence does not conform to the requirements of the conventions on road traffic, also the international driving permit;
- the attestation certificate of health knowledge;
- pass driving tests.
If you have previously exchanged a non-EU driving licence for an EU licence in another EU country, you can use it in Lithuania.