Driving licence recognition and validity – Italy
Driving licence validity in Italy
Driving licences are valid for 10 years.
Category A and B driving licences are valid for:
- 10 years, for drivers up to 50 years of age,
- 5 years, for drivers between 50 and 70 years of age,
- 3 years, for drivers between 70 and 80 years of age,
- 2 years, for drivers older than 80.
If you hold a driving licence for life (i.e. one that remains administratively valid for an unlimited period) that was issued by another EU country, you will have to renew the licence 2 years after moving to Italy.
Non-EU driving licences - exchange & recognition
You must exchange your non-EU driving licence within 1 year of moving to Italy.
To exchange your non-EU driving licence:
- go to the agency of Ministry of Transport ( it
- you will be asked to:
- produce your driving licence and a copy of it,
- fill in a form (model TT 2112),
- provide two passport type photos,
- provide a medical certificate with picture, and a copy of it,
- make a payment (approx. € 9,00 for cc 9001 and €32 for cc 4028 - more information at the agency's counter).
If you have previously exchanged a non-EU driving licence for an EU licence in another EU country, you can use it for a year after moving to Italy. If your EU licence is valid for an unlimited period, you will have to renew it two years after moving to Italy.