Driving licence recognition and validity – Estonia
Driving licence validity in Estonia
Driving licences are valid for 10 years.
Driving licences for novice drivers between 16-17 years of age are valid until the driver turns 18 (category B).
Driving licences for elderly drivers are valid for 10 years for all categories.
If you hold a driving licence for life (i.e. one that remains administratively valid for an unlimited period) that was issued by another EU country, you will not have to renew it after changing your usual place of residence.
Non-EU driving licences - exchange & recognition
You must exchange your non-EU driving licence within 12 months after moving.
To exchange your non-EU driving licence:
- go to to a service bureau of the Estonian Road Administration (or call +372 620 1200)
- hand in the following documents:
- valid health certificate,
- one photo in electronic format plus signature sample (can be made at the service bureau),
- the non-EU driving licence to be exhanged,
- the relevant fee.
If you have previously exchanged a non-EU driving licence for an EU licence in another EU country, you can use it in Estonia.