Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 13/02/2020

Buying and leasing a car – Lithuania

Affected by Brexit?

Can I pay for a car in cash?

Yes, there are no restrictions on this. If you travel within the EU, you don't need to declare money you take with you to customs. When entering or leaving the EU, you must declare any sum of money of or equivalent to EUR 10 000 and above to customs using a specific form.

What about payment of VAT?

Within an intra-EU transaction new cars should be sold without VAT. A car is considered new if no more than 6 months have passed since the date on which it was first registered or if its mileage does not exceed 6 000 km. In practice, some sellers may require payment of VAT as a deposit, to be refunded once the car is registered in the buyer's country. Check in advance with the seller how to claim the VAT refund, i.e. what documentation the seller needs from you. Be aware that you have no direct claim against the fiscal authorities, only against the seller so you should claim any refund quickly.

All other cars are considered second hand (more than 6 months since the date of first registration and mileage of more than 6 000 km). They are generally sold inclusive of VAT (21 %) if the supplier is a commercial seller (the supply is not liable to VAT if the supplier is a private person). You don't have to pay VAT in your country of residence.

Is the seller obliged to provide a vehicle inspection?

No. In Lithuania, a roadworthiness test has to take place every two years. Average costs for the roadworthiness test are EUR 14.45.

Is the Lithuanian vehicle inspection recognised in my home country?

Some countries recognise it. Check in advance with your national authority to avoid unnecessary costs.

Can I have an expert carry out a check on the car at the seller's premises?

Yes, if you cover the costs. You can ask a technical control centre or a private technical expert (there is no list available). Costs average EUR 15.

What should I look out for in the contract of sale?

Read the contract carefully and only sign contracts you understand. Some traders try to exclude legal guarantee rights by claiming that the contract is a business-to-business contract or that the car is sold "without warranties" (only in business-to-consumer contracts would such a clause be considered null and void). Make sure that the name of the seller is the same as the name given in the registration document, or that the seller has power of attorney to sell the car in the registered owner's name. If you buy from a trader, make sure that the name of the company is mentioned in the contract and that there is an indication regarding VAT.

Can I cancel a signed contract?

What documents should the seller provide?

Check if other documents are needed in the country where you intend to register the car.

Should I apply for temporary plates to drive the car home?

Contact the competent authority for information:

State Enterprise "REGITRA" Liepkalnio Street 97, LT-02121 Vilnius

Price: +/- EUR 15 Timeframe: issued immediately

Validity: 30 days

You may also be able to apply for transit plates from your home country. Check with your relevant national authority.

Regular national plates

If you wish to drive home with the national plates still on the car, are you obliged to return them to the competent registration offices, either in the country of previous registration or in the registration country?

If a car is bought in Lithuania and is to be transported to another Member State, the owner should get the transit plates from the competent authority in Lithuania and cancel the car's local registration (give back the standard plates). If an owner sells a car without cancelling registration, the number plates still need to be returned to the competent authority in Lithuania. So the buyer can travel with standard plates to his/her home country, but to cancel the registration in Lithuania, the plates must be sent to the competent authority in Lithuania.

Do I need temporary insurance?

When driving the car home, you must be covered by insurance allowing you to drive on public roads. When applying for transit plates, you need to show proof of (temporary) liability insurance cover.

If I have a complaint about a cross-border purchase, whom do I contact?

Contact your local ECC: www.ecc.lt

What out of court dispute resolution body is available in Lithuania?

The State Consumer Rights Protection Authority

Vilniaus Street 25, LT-01402 Vilnius

Tel: +370 5 262 67 51

Fax: +370 5 279 14 66

e-mail: tarnyba@vvtat.lt


To whom do I report cases of fraud?

To the nearest police station to the trader's premises.

Information provided by ECC-Net in March 2016 - see our legal notice.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: