Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 01/03/2017

Buying a car in Slovenia

Can I pay for a car in cash?

Yes, there are no restrictions on this. If you travel within the EU, you don't need to declare money you take with you to customs. When entering or leaving the EU, you must declare any sum of money of or equivalent to EUR 10 000 and above to customs using a specific form.

What about payment of VAT?

Within an intra-EU transaction new cars should be sold without VAT. A car is considered new if no more than 6 months have passed since the date on which it was first registered or if its mileage does not exceed 6 000 km. In practice, some sellers may require payment of VAT as a deposit, to be refunded once the car is registered in the buyer's country. Check in advance with the seller how to claim the VAT refund, i.e. what documentation the seller needs from you. In practice, the seller will require proof that the car has been registered in another EU Member State and sometimes proof of payment of VAT.

All other cars are considered second hand (more than 6 months since the date of first registration and mileage of more than 6 000 km). They are generally sold inclusive of VAT (22 %) if the supplier is a commercial seller (the supply is not liable to VAT if the supplier is a private person). You don't have to pay VAT in your country of residence.

Is the seller obliged to provide a vehicle inspection?

No. However, professional traders in second-hand cars usually check the quality of the car before the sale.

The first periodic inspection has to take place 4 years after the vehicle is first registered, the next two inspections take place at 2-year intervals, and subsequently, the vehicle must be inspected every year (4-2-2-1 rule). For M1 category vehicles (passenger vehicles with no more than nine seats), the inspection costs EUR 33.87.

Is the Slovenian vehicle inspection recognised in my home country?

Some countries recognise it. Check in advance with your national authority to avoid unnecessary costs.

Can I have an expert carry out a check on the car at the seller's premises?

Yes, with the agreement of the seller. The national automobile associationsl offers such services. Costs average EUR 100.65-182 for a more detailed inspection.

What should I look out for in the contract of sale?

Read the contract carefully and only sign contracts you understand. Some traders try to exclude legal guarantee rights by claiming that the contract is a business-to-business contract or that the car is sold "without warranties" (only in business-to-consumer contracts would such a clause be considered null and void). Make sure that the name of the seller is the same as the name given in the registration document, or that the seller has power of attorney to sell the car in the registered owner's name. If you buy from a trader, make sure that the name of the company is mentioned in the contract and that there is an indication regarding VAT.

Can I cancel a signed contract?

What documents should the seller provide?

Check if other documents are needed in the country where you intend to register the car.

Should I apply for temporary plates to drive the car home?

You should contact one of the car registration offices licensed by the competent authority for information .

You may be able to apply for transit plates from your home country. Check with your relevant national authority.

Regular national plates

If you wish to drive home with the national plates still on the car, are you obliged to return them to the competent registration offices, either in the country of previous registration or in the registration country?

If a vehicle is sold to a foreign buyer, the seller has to deregister it, which means that the plates have to be returned. If needed, you can obtain transit plates to drive the vehicle back. Do I need temporary insurance? When driving the car home, you must be covered by insurance allowing you to drive on public roads. Ask your insurer or their representative in Slovenia if they can provide you with short-term insurance. When applying for transit plates, you need to show proof of (temporary) insurance cover.

If I have a complaint about a cross-border purchase, whom do I contact?

Contact your local ECC: EVROPSKI POTROŠNIŠKI CENTER SLOVENIJA, Kotnikova 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Tel +386 1 400 3729

What out of court dispute resolution body is available in Slovenia?

The European Centre for Dispute Resolution, a private institute for out of court consumer dispute resolution.

To whom do I report cases of fraud?

You can report online fraud to the local police in person by calling the emergency number 113 or by writing to gp.policija@policija.si.


Information provided by ECC-Net in March 2016 - see our legal notice.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: