Available languages:

Last checked : 07/07/2017

Expired or lost passports – Croatia

All EU nationals need a valid travel document or ID card to leave or (re)enter Croatia. (If you are a Croatian national travelling with an ID card, make sure that your card was issued after 1.1.2003.)

If you are a Croatian national and find yourself in another EU country without a valid passport or ID card (or it has been damaged) you will need to to ask the nearest embassy or consulate of the Republic of Croatia abroad to issue you a travel document (valid for up to 30 days) for your return to the Republic of Croatia.

Exception: A bilateral agreement between Austria and Croatia allows Austrian citizens to enter Croatia with an expired passport (expired for 5 years maximum). But the agreement does not apply to Croatian citizens entering Austria.


See main information on this topic

Need more information on rules in a specific country?

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: