Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 24/04/2017

Car insurance validity when travelling abroad – United Kingdom

Comprehensive cover when travelling abroad

Your comprehensive car insurance policy (covering theft, vandalism, legal costs, etc.) is valid for the period specified in the policy, usually 90 days although this can also depend on the circumstances of the citizen and/or prior notification to and approval by the insurer, when travelling in another EU country.

Insurance cover for additional drivers when travelling abroad

For somebody other than the owner or drivers named in the insurance policy to drive the vehicle, you must first apply to the insurer for exceptional authorisation.

This does apply to family members living in the same household unless they are named drivers on the policy themselves.

Trailers must be insured

There is no legal requirement in the UK for trailers to be separately insured, although this is advisable and available on application to an insurer

As a national of another EU country travelling with a trailer in the UK, you do not need to take out a separate policy for the trailer.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: