Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 24/04/2017

Car insurance validity when travelling abroad – Belgium

Comprehensive cover when travelling abroad

Your comprehensive car insurance policy (covering theft, vandalism, legal costs, etc.) is valid for a period of the period for which it was signed when travelling in another EU country.

Insurance cover for additional drivers when travelling abroad

Anybody can drive the insured vehicle at any time, not just the owner but it depends also on the risk declared to the insurer especially the notion of the "usual driver".

Trailers must be insured

The standard insurance policy in Belgium for vehicles also covers the trailer, when it is attached to the car, but only covers trailers with a maximum authorised mass not exceeding 500 kg.

When the trailer is not attached or exceeds 500 kg, the standard insurance policy does not cover it.

As a national of another EU country travelling with a trailer in Belgium, you do not need to take out a separate policy for the trailer if it is not attached to the car.

But if it is attached, the trailer is equated with a motor vehicle which must be insured according to Belgian law.

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: