Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 03/05/2019

Driving licence loss, theft, replacement when on holiday – Greece

Affected by Brexit?

If your driving licence is lost or stolen during your vacation in Greece, you must report it to the Police Authority. The Police Authority, upon your request, will issue a certificate stating its loss or theft. Whether you are an EU citizen or not, there is no provision for a temporary certificate that will allow you to continue to drive on Greek territory.

If you are an EU citizen with your normal residence in Greece and your driving licence is lost or stolen, you must submit an application to the competent Greek authority, in order to replace it, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph 5 of Article 11 of Directive 2006/126/EC.

The competent Greek authority will issue a duplicate driving licence based on the information available to them or, where appropriate, based on a certificate from the Member State's competent authority which initially issued the lost or stolen licence.

The competent Greek authority for the issuance of a duplicate driving licence is the Transport and Communications Office of the Regional Unity of the citizen's place of residence.

More information on driving licences and the aforementioned procedure is available at the Ministry of Infrastructure & Transport website.


See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: