Available languages:

Doing business
Last checked: 24/04/2017

Driving licence loss, theft, replacement when on holiday – Austria

If you lose your driving licence or have it stolen, you need to report this to the police as soon as possible, at the latest within a week of it happening. The document you receive confirming that you have reported your licence lost or stolen is valid as a substitute licence for four weeks, albeit only within Austria.

If you are abroad when you lose your licence or it is stolen, a duplicate Austrian licence cannot be issued in that country.

If your licence is lost or stolen, you can get a temporary licence.

This temporary licence contains all the information in your normal licence - including any applicable limitations, restrictions and conditions, as well as your personal data and licence categories.

The temporary driving licence is valid only:

  • for a maximum of four weeks from the date of issue (this cannot be extended)
  • in conjunction with official photo ID
  • within Austria

If you lose your driving licence, contact a driver licence agency in Austriade

See main information on this topic

Need support from assistance services?

Get in touch with specialised assistance services

Share this page: