Updated : 26/04/2017
European Parliament elections – Spain
Non-Spanish EU nationals can vote and stand as candidates in elections to the European Parliament.
To vote you must:
- be 18 on election day and not be disqualified
- live in Spain and be registered officially there
- be on the electoral roll
- express your wish to vote
To notify the authorities that you wish to vote in the European elections as a non-Spanish national, you must:
You can stand as a candidate if you:
- meet the conditions required for Spaniards
- have not been disqualified from standing for election in your country of origin
- meet all the requirements laid down for Spanish nationals to stand, which are:
- meeting all the requirements to vote
- not having a conviction that disqualifies you from voting
- not holding certain public offices
In addition, you must certify that you are not standing as a candidate in any other EU country.
In Spain it is not compulsory to vote in the European Parliamentary elections, so there is no penalty for not voting.
See main information on this topic
European Parliament elections