Service tools

Language selector

EU flag

Navigation path


Updated : 26/04/2017

European Parliament elections – Italy

To vote in European Parliament elections, foreign EU citizens must first register on the electoral roll of the municipality in Italy where they are living.

This request must be submitted at the latest 90 days before the date of the elections.

To be able to vote, you must:

  • be aged 18 or over on the day of voting
  • be eligible to vote either in Italy or in your country of origin
  • be living in an Italian municipality
  • not be disqualified from voting in your country of origin by any criminal or civil judicial decisions.

You must inform the Italian national authorities where you intend to vote in the European Parliament elections when you register on the electoral roll in the municipality where you live. When registering, you must declare that you will vote only in Italy.

Voting in the European Parliament elections is not compulsory.

If you want to stand in European Parliament elections, you must send an official statement to the office of the relevant court of appeal, in addition to the documents required of Italian nationals. The official statement must indicate:

  • your nationality and the address where you are resident in Italy
  • the municipality or constituency in which you are registered in your country of origin (if you are registered)
  • that you will not stand in the same European Parliament elections in any other EU country.

This statement must be presented when the list of candidates is lodged. The statement must be accompanied by a certificate from the relevant authority in your country of origin proving that you are eligible to stand in elections there or that you have not been disqualified from standing. The certificate must be accompanied by a faithful Italian translation of the original.

See also:

See main information on this topic
European Parliament elections
Public consultations
    Need more information on rules in a specific country?
    Ask national administrations
    Need support from assistance services?
    Get help and advice